The document area of the QuickTest window can display the following:
- Start Page. Welcomes you to QuickTest and provides links to Process Guidance. You can use the shortcut buttons to open new and existing documents. For more information, see Start Page.
Note: The document area of the QuickTest window also enables you to create, view, and modify business components, scripted components, and application areas.
Key Elements in the QuickTest Window
In addition to the document area, the QuickTest window contains the following key elements:
- QuickTest title bar. Displays the name of the active document. If changes have been made since it was last saved, an asterisk (*) is displayed next to the document name in the title bar.
- Menu bar. Displays menus of QuickTest commands.
- Debug toolbar. Contains buttons to assist you in debugging your document. (Not displayed by default)
- Edit toolbar. Contains buttons to assist you in editing your test or function library.
- Insert toolbar. Contains buttons to assist you when working with steps and statements in your test or function library.
- Tools toolbar. Contains buttons with tools to assist you in the testing process.
- View toolbar. Contains buttons to assist you in viewing your document.
- Action toolbar. Contains buttons and a list of actions, enabling you to view the details of an individual action or the entire test flow. (Not displayed by default)
- Document tabs and scroll arrows. Enables you to navigate open documents in the document area by selecting the tab of the document you want to activate (bring into focus). When there is not enough space in the document area to display all of the tabs simultaneously, you can use the left and right arrows to scroll between your open documents.
- Keyword View. Contains each step, and displays the object hierarchy, in a modular, icon-based table. For more information, see Working with the Keyword View.
- Status bar. Displays the status of the QuickTest application and other relevant information.
You can show or hide the following panes from the View menu:
- Active Screen. Provides a snapshot of your application as it appeared when you performed a certain step during the recording session.
- Available Keywords. Displays all the keywords available to your test. Enables you to drag and drop objects or calls to functions into your test.
- Data Table. Assists you in parameterizing your test. The Data Table contains the Global tab and a tab for each action.
- Debug Viewer. Assists you in debugging your document. The Debug Viewer pane contains the Watch, Variables, and Command tabs.
- Information. Displays a list of syntax errors found in your test and function library scripts.
- Missing Resources. Provides a list of the resources that are specified in your test but cannot be found, such as missing calls to actions, unmapped shared object repositories, and parameters that are connected to shared object repositories. The Missing Resources pane then enables you to locate or remove them from your test.
- Process Guidance. Displays two panes that provide procedures and descriptions on how to best perform specific processes, such as creating a test in QuickTest. The Process Guidance Activities pane lists the activities that you can perform, such as adding steps to a test. The Process Guidance Description pane describes the tasks that you need to perform for a selected activity. Your organization may also provide you with process guidance that is accessible from these panes.
- Resources. Displays all the resources associated with your current test and enables you to manage these resources.
- Test Flow. Displays the hierarchy of actions and action calls in the current test, and shows the order in which they are run.
- To Do. Displays and enables you to manage the tasks defined for the current test. The To Do pane also displays the TODO comment steps of the test’s actions or currently open function libraries.